One of the most important things you can do during the season of illness, is to prevent it! Seems logical right. But so often we get busy and actually forget the preventative measures until an illness reminds us that we should have done a better job of remembering.
Today, my friend Carol from Studio Botanic is sharing an AMAZING Winter Tonic Tea recipe with you. I adore Carol and all the herbal wisdom she shares on her site. Be sure to hop over there and check out all she has to offer. And while you are there, be sure to grab a copy of her Cold and Flu Season eBook. It is a treasure trove of information and easy recipes!
Winter Tonic Tea
The Ingredient Lineup
Renowned for high antioxidant activity. Herbalists add to formulas to improve vision, improve heart health and to lower cholesterol, to improve vision. I use these precious berries in fall and winter to boost the immune system and to treat colds, flu, bronchitis and other winter viral challenges. Bioflavonoids and other proteins have been proven to destroy the ability of cold and flu viruses to infect a cell.
- Known to lower blood pressure as effectively as some standard hypertension drugs
- Rich in Vitamin C
- High in anti-oxidants
- Helps with lowering cholesterol levels
- Known anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial + diuretic. Known as “Jamaica” in Mexico, it’s a common tasty tonic all on its own!
- Known to strengthen the immune system
- Can stimulate circulation
- Helps to maintain a healthy digestion
- Can reduce inflammation which helps to lower chronic disease risk (e.g. prevent heart disease!)
- Anti-aging as it heals tissues and cells. It also tones organs and regenerates cells
- Calming effect, prevents stress and also acts as an anti-depressant
MILKY OATS (aka Milky Oat tops) Avena Sativa
- Excellent nervous system support herb
- Tonic supportive tea to help with ‘frayed’ nerves
- Calming and soothing for the entire nervous system
- High in Vitamin C
- Immune Boosting
- Helps to lower cholesterol
- Contains anti-cancer compounds
- Offers natural relief from heartburn.
You Will Need:
- 1 part Elderberries
- 1 part Hibiscus flowers
- 1 part Rose Hips
- 1 part Oats (milky oat tops are best!)
- 1/2 part Orange peel (dried)
Typically, I combine these ingredients together in a small batch and store in a glass-canning jar so that it’s SUPER easy to make this tea at any time! Try using 1 cup for 1 part and store in a glass jar. Use organic sources whenever possible ~ better for YOU!
This delicious winter formula should be made every day in a quart-sized jar with a good lid. If the formula has been mixed already, it’s easy to take 3 tablespoons of the ‘mixture’ and add to the jar. Add freshly boiled water. Allow to steep 10-12 minutes.
It is beneficial for adults and children. Raw honey may be used to sweeten but most folks find that is not necessary.
This tea formula supports the immune system, digestive system and the nervous system. These body systems work together to give us the tools to keep healthy all year ‘round and especially during cold + flu season.
It’s best to make and take this tea as a part of a larger herbal health plan.