I am a lover of soup – bisque in particular. There is something so soothing and nourishing about a delicate yet hearty bisque like soup. With the arrival of fall, I always crave one of my all time favorite comfort foods…
Apple Pumpkin Bisque
I may receive a commission if you purchase through links in this post.
This apple pumpkin bisque brings together all the scrumptious flavors of fall. With a unique blend of seasonings, this bisque is a little sweet, a little spicy, and a whole lot of yum! It can be served as a main dish but is also great alongside other foods.
A simple recipe that doesn't require a lot of time to prepare, this apple pumpkin bisque can be made in a large batch and frozen. It reheats perfectly and in my humble opinion actually might taste better after it has had time for the flavors to really merry.
Children love this soup, especially when served with this delicious gluten free squash bread. It is the perfect pairing with the apple pumpkin bisque.
Enjoy this recipe!
Apple Pumpkin Bisque
Yield 12 servings
This delicious gluten free apple pumpkin bisque brings together all the scrumptious flavors of fall. A nourishing comfort food, this bisque is hearty enough to serve as the main course yet delicate enough to compliment any meal. Vegan and dairy free options.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger root
- 2 cups pumpkin purée (this is my recipe for pumpkin puree or you can use this canned variety)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce (I like this brand a lot)
- 3 1/2 cups broth
- 2 tablespoons honey (this is super yummy honey)
- 1 teaspoon apple-cider vinegar (this is the only brand I use)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 small, dried chile pepper (this one is awesome)
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Salt and ground white pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream or fresh cream (optional)
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Sauté the onion and ginger until onion is tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, applesauce, broth, honey, vinegar, cinnamon stick, chile pepper, nutmeg, salt and pepper, and simmer about 15 minutes until flavors are blended.
- Stir in sour cream just before serving.