No fancy intro needed for this recipe! Basically, I took my favorite meatloaf recipe and kicked it up a notch by adding in some pumpkin. The results were AMAZING! This is a favorite recipe in the Hybrid Rasta house. We rarely have leftovers.
Enjoy this savory pumpkin meatloaf!
Savory Pumpkin Meatloaf
Yield 4 servings
This savory pumpkin meatloaf is a family favorite that combines the rich flavors of fall and winter with the traditional goodness of a hearty meatloaf.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 onion, diced fine
- 3 stalks celery, diced fine
- 2 grated carrots, grated or diced fine
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree (check out how I make it)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground sage
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup almond meal, or other breadcrumb substitute
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raw honey (optional)
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil to medium high heat and sauté the onion until translucent.
- Add the chopped celery, carrots, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook just until done.
- Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, place the raw ground turkey/beef, eggs, and almond meal. Stir very well.
- Stir in the pumpkin.
- Add the vegetable-herb mixture and stir into the meat mixture.
- Oil or butter one large or two small loaf pans. Place the turkey mixture into the pans and spread evenly.
- In a separate bowl, mix the honey and mustard together to make a honey-mustard glaze. Mix well and drizzle over the meat in the pans. Spread evenly.
- Bake the meat loaf for 1 hour, 15 minutes. You will know when it is done because it will be firm in the center when you cut into it.
- Mustard and honey: Ketchup
- Carrots: 1 grated zucchini
- Almond meal: sunflower meal or any breadcrumbs