Dirty floors. We all have them. We all loathe them. We all clean them. All. The. Time. With so many “natural” floor cleaner options out there, it is hard to know which really is the best.
While it might seem convenient to just grab a bottle of natural floor cleaner from the store or off Amazon, I assure you that if you take 5 minutes to make this, you will never ever purchase floor cleaner again.
Not only is this floor cleaner non-toxic but it is extremely cheap to make. You can make it in a large batch or a little at a time. The ingredients are all easy to source and keep on hand as well.
I have been making and using this for years and have seen it work amazingly well on every type of floor. You name it – wood, laminate, ceramic tile, porcelain tile – it can handle any floor surface. It cleans deeply, dries quickly, and leaves the floors sparkling without an iota of residue. It also helps to repel the dirt unlike a lot of floor cleaners that seem to attract more dirt than they remove.
A huge bonus is that this floor cleaner doubles as an all-purpose cleaner.
Yep – you read that right! I have cleaned sinks, counters, mirrors, appliances, toilets, bathtubs, and more with this stuff. In fact, aside from a little homemade coconut oil furniture polish, this is the only cleaner I keep around.
In case you were still on the fence about this cleaner, let me highlight the fact that this is completely safe around people and pets! Now, you don’t want to drink the stuff so do keep it out of the reach of children and pets. Drinking it will surely induce some serious intestinal issues. Also important to note is that any essential oil should be used with care around animals although tea tree oil is generally seen as safe to use around pets.
Who’s ready to grab the recipe for this crazy awesome non-toxic floor cleaner? I will provide you with the bulk recipe and in the notes section break it down into a 20 oz version that can fit nicely in a large spray bottle.
The World’s Best DIY Non-Toxic Floor Cleaner
This easy-to-make floor cleaner is safe for all surfaces, cost effective, and works so well you will never want to use another cleaner again!
- 4 cups distilled water
- 3 cups vinegar (I prefer to use cleaning vinegar)
- 2 cups rubbing alcohol
- 8 drops dish soap (this is the dish soap I prefer. This one is nice as well.)
- 20 drops tea tree oil
- Large glass bottles (I like to repurpose glass milk or juice bottles). You can also use the gallon jug the vinegar comes in.
- Measure and pour all ingredients into your container.
- Give it a mix or a shake.
- You can then pour some into a spray bottle for immediate use.
- Simply spray the floor cleaner on the surface to be cleaned.
- Wipe it away with a towel, microfiber cloth, or a reusable mop like this one.
- Allow to dry. Drying takes less than 5 minutes typically.
- Store away from heat and light. The large batch will last for months although I doubt you will have it around that long.
- 1 cup distilled water
- 3/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol
- 2-3 drops dish soap
- 5 drops tea tree oil