About a year ago I moved to the desert and traded the nice, soft water I had known all my life for some of the hardest water I had even experienced. It was a shock to say the least. I had no clue what I was getting into and just how much havoc hard water would reap.
My hair suffered horribly but with a lot of trial and error I got that under control. What I didn’t have under control was my laundry. My goodness. Who knew that hard water would be the death of my clothes and my towels.
I haven’t used fabric softener in a decade.
However, after researching hard water I learned that fabric softener could possibly be my saving grace. And so, I set out to make some.
It took a lot of experimenting to come up with the ingredient ratios that would make his fabric softener “just right.” But once I nailed the formula, my laundry experience did a complete 180. Not only did this take care of all the hard water issues but it also totally changed the way my clothes felt and looked!
Are you ready to change the way you do laundry?
DIY Fabric Softener
- 8 ounces of hair conditioner (I used this one)
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 15 drops of essential oils of your choice (I used lavender and lemongrass and it was lovely)
- Add all the ingredients into a jar bottle that can hold 4 cups of liquid. I used a repurposed glass juice bottle and it fit perfectly. You can also repurpose a fabric softener bottle if you have one handy.
- Put the cap on and shake, shake, shake. (Optional – sing the 70’s disco hit “Shake Your Booty” while doing this).
- After about a minute of shaking, your solution should be ready.
- Shake before using.
- Add 1 tablespoon per load.
- Watch the fabric softening magic happen!