I adore a good sourdough. However trying to find a gluten free, grain free version can be tough.
I knew my friend Andrea from It Takes Time created a rather popular sourdough recipe and I decided to play around with it. Andrea’s base flour choices are probably more recognizable than mine but I have such a love affair with Tigernut flour that I decided to give it a whirl!
The results were fantastic!
This gluten free grain free sourdough starter was full of bubbly, fermented goodness.
It was easy to make, easy to feed, and grew like a weed. If you are looking for a gluten free, grain free sourdough starter, give this one a try. I think you will like it a lot!
While you can use this gluten free sourdough starter in just about any sourdough bread recipe, be sure to check out my sourdough bread recipe. The sourdough starter and the sourdough bread were made for each other!
If you love sourdough, you will definitely want to check out my gluten free sourdough pumpkin bread recipe. It is delish and perfect for fall!
- In a large jar (quart size or larger), combine the tigernut flour with the kombucha and water.
- Stir well.
- Cover with tight fitting lid place away from sunlight. A pantry or kitchen cabinet works well.
- Every day, repeat with the above quantities of flour, kombucha, and water until you reach your desired volume.
- The starter should get bubbly and maybe even slightly foamy. The starter will smell sour. It is normal for the flour to sink to the bottom of the jar and separate a bit from the liquids.
- When you use your starter, be sure to save at least ¼ cup to help feed the replacement ingredients with.
- If your starter looks off or smells odd, discard and begin again. Trust your gut!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 starter
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 28Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 6g
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered from Nutritionix. Nutrition information can vary for a recipe based on many factors. We strive to keep the information as accurate as possible, but make no warranties regarding its accuracy. We encourage readers to make their own calculations based on the actual ingredients used in your recipe, using your preferred nutrition calculator.