I adore a good sourdough. However trying to find a gluten free, grain free version can be tough.
I knew my friend Andrea from It Takes Time created a rather popular sourdough recipe and I decided to play around with it. Andrea’s base flour choices are probably more recognizable than mine but I have such a love affair with Tigernut flour that I decided to give it a whirl!
The results were fantastic!
This gluten free grain free sourdough starter was full of bubbly, fermented goodness.
It was easy to make, easy to feed, and grew like a weed. If you are looking for a gluten free, grain free sourdough starter, give this one a try. I think you will like it a lot!
Be sure to check out my sourdough bread recipe here.
- In a large jar (quart size or larger), combine the tigernut flour with the kombucha and water.
- Stir well.
- Cover with tight fitting lid place away from sunlight. A pantry or kitchen cabinet works well.
- Every day, repeat with the above quantities of flour, kombucha, and water until you reach your desired volume.
- The starter should get bubbly and maybe even slightly foamy. The starter will smell sour. It is normal for the flour to sink to the bottom of the jar and separate a bit from the liquids.
- When you use your starter, be sure to save at least ¼ cup to help feed the replacement ingredients with.
- If your starter looks off or smells odd, discard and begin again. Trust your gut!