Here is the desert my “summer” is actually February – April. Now way am I going out when the thermometer soars to 115+ on a daily basis. But for the rest of you, fun in the sun is probably just beginning. And that means…. sunscreen!
I avoid conventional sunscreen at all cost. You can learn more about why that is in my post about coconut oil for sunscreen. I go over all kinds of great information including how to select the right SPF for your skin and how to protect yourself from sunburns by gradually exposing yourself to the sun. But back to sunscreen. Specifically,
Before we get to making and using natural sunscreen, we need to talk about a few precautions when it comes to sun exposure. A few things to remember when you are having fun in the sun:
- Drink plenty of water. Just because you might be in the swimming pool or in the ocean, or lake doesn’t mean you don’t need water. Even more so! By the time you are thirsty, you are already dehydrated.
- Pack healthy snacks for on the go. This will help your pocket book not to mention your health.
- Take a beach umbrella or find a shady spot to rest in, periodically, when outdoors for a lengthy time.
- Wear a hat and sunglasses.
- Apply natural sunscreen every 2-3 hours.
Natural Sunscreen With Essential Oils
In regards to sunscreen, do you look at the label and read the ingredients? Do you know what you are putting on your body? Rule of thumb… What goes ON your body, goes IN your body. (I am learning too, so don’t feel guilty). Can you pronounce the ingredients that are in your products? How many ingredients are listed? The fewer the better. These are some things to notice.
Why use or make an all natural sunscreen?
Like so many of our hair, skin and personal care products, most sunscreen ingredients are toxic for the body. Did you know that sun block has a caution that states “…may be carcinogenic?” Do you realize that means it is known to cause cancer? Isn’t skin cancer the reason we use traditional sun block?
Now you can make your own! By using essential oil products, you can give health to your body while you are protecting it! Using toxic creams and lotions is one of the reasons why we have the skin conditions we encounter today.
If you want to use all natural sunscreen and don’t want to purchase any, consider making your own. All natural sunscreens can easily be made with pure therapeutic grade essential oils and a carrier oil, like coconut, jojoba, avocado, grape seed oil, or V-6 oil. Essential oils have been used for thousands of years to both prevent and to treat sunburns.
Which essential oils are the best for natural sunscreen?
Lavender, Helichrysum, Roman Chamomile, Frankincense, and Myrrh are excellent at providing sun protection.
What essential oils should I avoid in the sun?
Remember to avoid essential oils that contain citrus; and this includes your blends! These oils are photosensitive and can create skin spots or discoloration of the skin.
What essential oils do I use and love? Several brands actually.
1. My hands down favorite brand is Rocky Mountain Oils (also known as Native American Nutritionals). These are seriously the BEST brand I have ever used. They are strong. And I mean strong. I have seen some amazing things happen when using this brand.
2. GEO carries a great line of essentials oils and I have always had success with their oils. They are adding new blends frequently and are definitely worth a look!
3. I am really enjoying Plant Therapy essential oils as well. They are easy on the budget as well as being a high quality oil.