Long ago and far away I was able to enjoy my homemade eggnog in mass quantities. I drank it daily. I baked with it. I made pancakes with it. Basically, I could NOT get enough of this amazing beverage. And then I found out I was allergic to eggs. That was a sad day. A sad sad day.
I have since been able to add eggs back into my diet and thank goodness!!!! To celebrate, I am sharing a very special recipe.
This Eggnog Mousse has gone down in Hybrid Rasta History as the most requested dessert ever.
I make it every year, multiple times, for holiday gatherings.
The effort here is worth it and really, it is a lot easier than it looks. And OH MY STARS!!!!! This is about as delicious as it gets. This eggnog mousse is also kind of sort of healthy too. Sure, there is some sugar happening but as far as desserts go, this one isn’t overly loaded with sugar.
So go ahead and indulge yourself this December and bring a smile to the faces of anyone who tries even just one bite. And in the even that you are a huge eggnog lover like myself, try this gluten free eggnog bread or these gluten free eggnog donut muffins!
- In a large bowl set over a pot of simmering water over medium heat, whisk together eggnog, egg yolks and brown sugar. Continue whisking, vigorously, until mixture has tripled in volume and is very hot.
- Meanwhile, soften gelatin in 1/4 cup of hot water, for about 2 minutes. Squeeze out excess water and thoroughly whisk in to eggnog mixture. Float bowl in a sink partially filled with cold water and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Whip cream until it is stiff. Fold 1/3 of the cream into the eggnog mixture with a rubber spatula (this is to lighten the mixture), then fold in remaining 2/3.
- Spoon into individual dessert dishes or into one large decorative bowl.
- Refrigerate until set; several hours or overnight.
- Garnish with extra whipped cream and chocolate shavings if desired. I like to drizzle it with a wee bit of espresso and garnish with a coffee bean.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 307 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 230mg Sodium: 116mg Carbohydrates: 12g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 11g Protein: 10g