Long ago and far away I was able to enjoy eggnog in mass quantities. I drank it daily. I baked with it. I made pancakes with it. Basically, I could NOT get enough of this amazing beverage. And then I found out I was allergic to eggs. That was a sad day. A sad sad day.
However, my egg allergy won't stop me from sharing my favorite eggnog recipe of all time! This Eggnog Mousse has gone down in Hybrid Rasta History as the most requested dessert ever. I still make it for holiday gatherings despite not being able to indulge myself.
The effort here is worth it and really, it is a lot easier than it looks. And OH MY STARS!!!!! This is about as delicious as it gets. This eggnog mousse is also kind of sort of healthy too. Sure, there is some sugar happening but as far as desserts go, this one isn't overly loaded with sugar.
So go ahead and indulge yourself this December and bring a smile to the faces of anyone who tries even just one bite.
This luxurious eggnog mousse is about as good as it gets! It will have you craving (and making) it all season long.
- In a large bowl set over a pot of simmering water over medium heat, whisk together eggnog, egg yolks and brown sugar. Continue whisking, vigorously, until mixture has tripled in volume and is very hot.
- Meanwhile, soften gelatin in 1/4 cup of hot water, for about 2 minutes. Squeeze out excess water and thoroughly whisk in to eggnog mixture. Float bowl in a sink partially filled with cold water and allow mixture to cool to room temperature.
- Whip cream until it is stiff. Fold 1/3 of the cream into the eggnog mixture with a rubber spatula (this is to lighten the mixture), then fold in remaining 2/3.
- Spoon into individual dessert dishes or into one large decorative bowl.
- Refrigerate until set; several hours or overnight.
- Garnish with extra whipped cream and chocolate shavings if desired. I like to drizzle it with a wee bit of espresso and garnish with a coffee bean.
*Links to ingredients are through my affiliate partner Amazon*