You all know that I loooooove me some Jamaican cooking! It thought it was high time I share one of my favorite ways to prepare chicken.
I learned this method after visiting Jamaica and it is hands down the best stewed chicken I have ever had. I adjusted the seasonings a bit to suit of family’s tastes but other than that, this is pretty much how they make it in the Savanna-La-Mar area of Jamaica.
You will notice that this recipe, like a lot of Jamaican recipes, calls for ‘browning.’ Browning is basically caramelized sugar used to enhance the color of a dish. It doesn’t alter the flavor much so don’t worry about including it if you don’t want to whip up some caramelized sugar.
Stewed Jamaican Chicken
Yield 4 servings
A stewed Jamaican chicken recipe from the Sav-La-Mar region.
- 3 lbs. chicken (cut into small pieces)
- Lime juice
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon browning
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 whole red or yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 each, red and green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 fresh sprig thyme
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- Wash the chicken then rub it with lime juice.
- Let it sit for five minutes then pat it dry with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
- Combine the sea salt, black pepper, and browning.
- Rub it all over the chicken and allow it to marinate for one hour at least – overnight is best.
- Heat the oil in a pan and slightly brown the chicken pieces. When the chicken is browned, remove from pan and set aside.
- To the same pan, add the onions and bell peppers.
- Fry them until the onions are transparent.
- Add the chicken, water, garlic, thyme, and carrots to the pan. Stir and cover.
- Cook on medium heat for about 30 to 45 minutes or until tender, occasionally stirring. Add arrowroot powder or cornstarch to thicken the liquid into the brown stew gravy.
- Serve immediately with your favorite side dish
There are all kinds of amazing side dishes you can pair with this dish. I personally like to make a simple cabbage dish. The flavors of the various vegetables really work well together and compliment the stewed chicken nicely.
Yield 4 servings
A simple, light pairing with any Jamaican inspired meal.
- 1 cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 1 tomato
- 1 sweet pepper
- 1 small onion
- Coconut oil
- Slice cabbage and carrot in small strips.
- Chop onion and sweet pepper.
- Put a small amount of coconut oil in a frying pan and heat for 3 minutes.Place the carrot and cabbage in the heated oil and stir.
- Cover for 5 minutes and then stir again.After 5 minutes stir and then pure the chopped onion and sweet pepper on top of the cabbage.
- Stir and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.