In the hustle and bustle of “back to school” and this upcoming holiday season, you may find yourself struggling to remember to take all your immune boosting teas, tinctures, and tonics. I know I do sometimes. Boosting one’s immune system is practically a full-time job, especially with the increase in nasty viruses year after year. And if you aren’t a trained herbalist, crafting natural remedies can be pretty daunting.
What if I told you that I had an easy solution to your immune boosting needs?
Yes, there is a little bit of work on the front end but the end result is super easy to use and will give your immune system a little extra fighting power. Is it a complete replacement for the right blend of herbs? No. But if you use it in conjunction with other natural immune boosting remedies, it may really kick things into high gear. And if this is ALL you can do for your immune system… Well, it’s certainly better than not doing anything at all.
So what IS this immune boosting secret of mine? Wait for it…. In 3, 2, 1…
Immune Boosting Salve Lotion
I know, brilliant right? Chances are you are already using lotion daily so why not enhance it with immune boosting essential oils?
I know the title sounds odd. Most people haven’t heard of an immune boosting salve lotion. But it is basically a cross between a really hard salve and a really spreadable lotion. It’s my own hybrid concoction and I love it!
Disclaimer time! I am not a medical professional nor do I play one on this site. Please do not take anything here as bonafide medical advice. Please do further research and talk to your trusted medical adviser.
This immune boosting salve lotion is super nourishing and can be used daily on pretty much all body parts. I would however, steer clear of “intimate areas” as well as sensitive facial tissue. Some of the essential oils might warm things up too much. But hey – who am I to tell you what to do. 😉 But seriously. This lotion will burn the lady bits and make your eyes sting. (I assume it would burn man bits too but seeing that I only have lady bits, I can't say for certain.)
Ok – let’s hop to the recipe. And if per chance you are NOT a fan of lotions or want something more like a traditional salve, you can easily convert it. It is really easy to do and I give you a step-by-step look at various ways to make salve in Salve Made Simple. Trust me – it is something to have in your natural living resource library.
Immune Boosting Salve Lotion
This immune boosting salve lotion is a great compliment to your herbal immune boosting regime. Easy to make and works great!
- 1/2 cup sweet almond oil - you could use olive oil but I just don’t like how olive oil smells when used with this specific blend of essential oils. Side note - I recently ordered this brand of sweet almond oil and am in love.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (I think you all know I use and love this brand
- 1/4 cup beeswax (lots of options here
- 2 tablespoons shea butter (I typically purchase this combo pack. Great product and a great price.)
- 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil (love this brand
- Clove essential oil
- Cinnamon essential oil
- Patchouli essential oil
- Lemon essential oil
- Eucalyptus essential oil
- Grab a mason jar or a glass measuring jar. Make sure it is large enough to accommodate all the ingredients!
- Fill a medium sized pot/saucepan about 1/4 of the way full with water and over high heat, bring it just to where the water is sending those little bubbles to the top.
- Turn the heat to medium/low.
- Put a lid/cover on the jar loosely and place in the pan with the water. You put the lid on so no water splashes in.
- Remove the lid and gently stir the ingredients as they melt.
- When all of the ingredients are melted, place the lid back on the jar and remove the jar from the water.
- Turn off the burner.
- Allow the lotion to cool slightly. 10 minutes is usually enough.
- Add in the essential oils (total of 30 drops), stirring with a non-wooden spoon.
- Spoon your lotion into its permanent home be it another small jar or a tin of some sort. Do not use a lotion pump. It will not work.
- Use daily.
Curious about my choice of essential oils in this salve lotion? Essential oils like clove, cinnamon, and patchouli known to be highly anti-viral and anti-bacterial, offering a topical way to bolster yourself against the cold and flu. Lemon essential oil can help boost the body’s natural defenses while eucalyptus purifies and supports the respiratory system. See – a wonderful combination of immune boosting oils!
What essential oils do I use and love? Several brands actually.
1. My hands down favorite brand is Rocky Mountain Oils (also known as Native American Nutritionals). These are seriously the BEST brand I have ever used. They are strong. And I mean strong. I have seen some amazing things happen when using this brand.
2. GEO carries a great line of essentials oils and I have always had success with their oils. They are adding new blends frequently and are definitely worth a look!
3. I am really enjoying Plant Therapy essential oils as well. They are easy on the budget as well as being a high quality oil.
Enjoy this immune boosting salve lotion within 6 months. While the vitamin E does act as a preservative, these kinds of products won’t last forever. But why make it to just stare at right?
Did I mention this salve lotion makes a great gift? Why yes, yes it does. So make a huge batch, put it in some cute little jars that your wee ones decorated, and wow your family and friends.