All I want for summer is halitosis….said no one ever. Who in their right mind wants bad breath?
Sadly, bad breath happens. While it can occur for a variety of reasons (some health related and some food/beverage consumption related), the fact of the matter is most of us will experience bad breath or an unpleasant taste in our mouth at one time or another.
Breath mints and chewing gum have always been the “go-to” breath refresher when you need to take care of business fast. But almost every product out there, natural or not, has some sort of ingredient that can do more harm than good. And if it isn’t an ingredient wreaking havoc, the act of chewing gum can unleash a host of jaw issues.
So what is someone to do should he or she find the need for a breath mint?
Coconut oil of course! (Did you really think I would say anything different?)
Admittedly, these coconut oil breath mints are not really all that travel friendly. You can’t keep them in your purse. But, if you pop one before leaving the house, these coconut oil breath mints ought to keep the bad breath under control. Plus coconut oil is well suited for oral health due to its antibacterial and anti-viral activity.
Oral Health Benefits Of Coconut Oil Breath Mints
- Can reduce harmful bacteria in the mouth
- Can reduce plaque and gingivitis
- Can aid in healing of tooth decay
- Can aid in healing of sores in mouth
- May help whiten teeth
- Can improve gum health
- Helps maintain a more natural balance of lipids on your tongue, while still having potent antibacterial properties (this means food won’t have that “off taste” if consumed immediately after brushing your teeth)
- In a glass measuring cup or bowl, combine the melted coconut oil and essential oils with a metal spoon.
- Pour into a shallow baking dish or small silicone candy molds.
- Place in the refrigerator and allow to set until firm.
- If using a shallow baking dish, slice the coconut oil slab into small bits. If using molds, carefully pop out each mint.
- Store in a glass container in the refrigerator. Use as needed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 100 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 6 Total Fat: 1g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g