Tigernut flour. My new best friend! Oh how I love thee. Tigernut horchata. How have I lived without you? Tigernut horchata muffins? Simply. Amazing.
I’m telling you…my recent egg free, dairy free, coconut free, nut free, grain free and gluten free baking attempts have been blowing me away! I thought all was lost when I had to go on an “allergen free” diet but honestly, it opened me up to a whole new world.
I feel great. I feel nourished. I feel satiated. And it is all thanks to a few key allergen free ingredients like Tigernut flour.
If you aren’t sure what Tigernut flour is, check out this recipe for Lactation Cookies. I explain it all in there.
Initially, I set out to make a cupcake. But after I saw the color of the batter, I decided to morph it into a muffin. The Tigernut flour has a slightly darker hue to it than say regular old flour does and as such, doesn’t produce your standard “white” cupcake. This isn’t a problem per say. What matters is how mouthwatering delicious these are. But aesthetically, this recipe looks more like a muffin than a cupcake.
Hence the Tigernut Horchata Muffin was born.
I absolutely love the way the flavors come together here. While the ingredient list is simple, the Tigernut Horchata gives this recipe a huge flavor boost. It takes it someplace plain old milk just can’t. Sure, you can try subbing the horchata for your favorite milk but I won’t endorse that. These muffins are just too darn tasty with the horchata base. Horchata muffins. Who knew they would be so dreamy?
If you want to give these muffins a protein boost, you can throw in a few tablespoons of collagen hydrosolate. Fair warning – it will make the muffins a bit more crumbly and a tad on the “sticky” side. The flavor remains the same and they certainly are just as edible. Just be prepared for a few more rogue crumbs.
Who’s ready for the recipe? Oh you are? Well let’s get right to it.
- 1 cup unsweetened or original Tigernut horchata (see recipe in notes) or purchase rice milk horchata here
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 cup raw honey, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 -2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups tigernut flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a muffin pan with my favorite liners.
- Whisk the horchata and the apple cider vinegar together and let sit a few minutes for a “curdling” effect. It won’t really curdle but you want it to get a little on the sour side.
- Beat together the horchata mixture, avocado oil, honey, vanilla, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Sift in the tigernut flour, arrowroot powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until no large lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 25 to 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.
Yes, there is a WIDE discrepancy in baking times. This is because of my personal experience. Out of 4 batches, 2 took under 30 minutes and the other 2 batches took over 30 minutes. I have no idea why. The cupcakes turned out the same each time but the cooking times mysteriously varied. If it were me, I would check on them at 20 minutes and go from there.
How To Make Tigernut Horchata
This recipe will make 3 cups so drink the extra up!
- 1/2 cup tiger nuts, soaked overnight
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cups filtered water + additional water for soaking
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- Place tiger nuts and cinnamon stick in a large bowl and soak overnight.
- Drain the tiger nuts and cinnamon stick, and discard the water. Put the tiger nuts and cinnamon into a blender or food processor. Add the sugar and filtered water, and blend until you obtain a smooth mixture.
- Pour the milk mixture inside a nut milk bag and squeeze all the milk out.
- Use to make these amazing muffins and drink up the rest! You can also store the extra for 2 days in the fridge.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 21Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 44mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g