Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz……. Ahhh – those blood sucking flying nuisances are back in action now that warm weather is out in full force. Dang mosquitoes, how you drive me up a wall!
Lucky for me, I am not very tasty. I get a bite or two each summer but nothing like Rasta Daddy experience. Poor guy gets eaten alive.
So of course, I set out to find a natural way to keep mosquitoes out of our outdoor living space. I found some pretty slick tricks! (Product links take you to Amazon, my affiliate partner).
7 Natural Ways To Get Rid Of Mosquitoes
1. Use yellow lights (like these), not white lights in your outside fixtures. Insects are more drawn to the bright white light than they are to yellow light. While yellow lights won’t keep every mosquito away, they will certain not create an environment mosquitoes are more drawn to.
2. Wear dark clothing, use dark tablecloths, and have dark patio furniture cushions. Mosquitoes are drawn to bright colors and tend to pass up darker colors.
3. Spray the area you are in with neem oil (I like this brand for outdoor use) mixed with water (about a 50/50 ratio). Mosquitoes hate neem with a passion and will steer clear of it. You can also use Neem oil on your body as well as use Neem oil shampoos on your pets.
4. If you’re using the barbeque, throw a bit of sage or rosemary on the coals to repel mosquitoes.
5. This sounds obvious but remove standing water! If you have a pond or fountain, plant rosemary, garlic, catnip, or marigold around it. Mosquitoes are not a fan of these plants.
6. Plant Thai Lemon Grass around your outdoor living spaces. It is a natural and effective mosquito repellent. It contains the natural oil, citronella, which is safe and effective. Lemon grass citronella is considered more effective than true citronella as an insect repellent. You can also take the stems at the base of the plant and mush them between your fingers. Rub this on you and mosquitoes will look elsewhere for their meal.
7. If you want to take things to an extreme crunchy level, you can hang bat houses like this one around your yard. Best. Mosquito. Control. Ever. Not to mention the added bonus of guano fertilizer. Come on – you know you want to!
Minus the bat house, I have had great success with these 7 natural ways to get rid of mosquitoes!