My love affair with coconut oil runs deep. I am now known as the Coconut Oil Maven at my local Trader Joes (thanks to an innocent conversation with a clerk that led to a small crowd gathering which led to an impromptu lecture, by me, on the joys of coconut oil.)
Anyhoo – I love using the stuff. But I also love learning how people use it! In my quest to provide all of you with awesome information about this incredible oil, I spend my fair share of time firmly planted in forums and on message boards where conversation about the many uses of coconut oil abound.
I must admit, some of the ways people use coconut oil have me rolling on the floor in a fit of giggles. Seriously. If I could share the wild ways in which people use the stuff I surely would. But this is a family friendly blog so instead of “wild” I will instead share….
25 Of The Most Bizarre Uses For Coconut Oil (some downright strange and ridiculous)
1. Rub it onto plant leaves (real or silk) to repel dust and create a healthy shine
2. Rub it onto the bottom of a sled to increase speed potential
3. Replace chemical laden shoe polishes with this natural oil (and your shoes will smell great too!)
4. Makes it easy to remove gum from hair, carpet, pets, etc…
5. Lubricate the strings on any stringed instrument
6. Extends the shelf life of eggs
7. Dissolves grease under fingernails
8. Jet fuel (Virgin Atlantic Airlines carried out the world's first flight of a commercial aircraft powered with a biofuel made from coconut oil in 2008.)
9. Can be used as an alternative to the commercial petroleum lubricant in light commercial vehicles
10. Loosens rusty nuts and screws
11. Removes scuff marks from tile floors
12. Neutralizes odors on your skin (great to use after working with garlic or onions!)
13. Removes crayon and sharpie pen from the clothes dryer
14. Removes coffee stains from tile floors and counters
15. Keeps wicker chairs from squeaking
16. Prevents mildew growth on fountains
17. Protects silver from blackening
18. Removes lipstick stains from cups, coffee mugs, etc…
19. Keeps cat poop from sticking to electric cat box rakes and cat box poop scoopers
20. Removes caked on food from the bottom of cookie sheets
21. Makes pills easier to swallow when coated lightly with coconut oil
22. Keeps wooden handles on garden tools from splintering
23. Helps in removal of snakes which are stuck in the engine compartment of a vehicle (seriously….just melt some coconut oil and pour it over the snake. Snake slides right out!)
24. It helps pull the moisture out of wooden tool handles
25. Gives bowling balls less “grab” on the lanes
Pretty interesting list am I right? Those are definitely some bizarre uses for coconut oil.
So do tell….what crazy, wild, unique, ridiculous, and zany ways have you used coconut oil?