Food allergies bite, especially around birthdays. While I cook most of what I eat from scratch and stick to a real food lifestyle, I do like to indulge in a little junk now and then. Typically my birthday is when I allow myself to have whatever the heck I want so long as it agrees with my system.
The one thing I miss the most are cupcakes, specifically a funfetti cupcake.
I love a good funfetti cupcake but haven’t had one in at least 7 years. With my birthday fast approaching I decided that I was going to conquer the gluten free, vegan funfetti cupcake. While I am not vegan, I cannot have eggs or dairy which basically throws me into the world of vegan baking. It’s a tricky beast I tell you!
After about a dozen complete failures, the magic finally happened and a really wonderful funfetti cupcake emerged from the depths of my oven. While it isn’t a dead ringer for the old school funfetti cupcake, it is pretty close if I do say so myself. Basically, it is delicious in its own right and totally satisfied my need for funfetti cupcakes. Plus, they got the seal of approval from my 7 year old and that’s what matter right?
- 1 cup hemp milk (or other non-dairy milk) + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/3 cup palm shortening, softened but not melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla powder
- 1 1/2 cups tigernut flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a standard muffin holder with 12 paper liners.
- In a liquid measuring cup, measure out hemp milk and add vinegar or lemon juice. Let set to curdle/activate.
- Add softened palm shortening to a large mixing bowl and cream with a mixer. Then add honey and beat until combined and fluffy.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (minus the sprinkles).
- Slowly, mix the dry ingredient mixture into the palm shortening mixture. Alternate this with the milk until everything has been added together and is well combined.
- Add sprinkles and gently fold/stir with a rubber spatula or mixing spoon.
- Divide evenly among cupcake holders making sure NOT to overfill. Keep them under 3/4 of the way filled.
- Bake on a center rack at 350 for 20-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. They will have a very, very slight golden brown color.
- Let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Frost or top with your choice of cupcake accompaniments.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g