It’s a new dawn, a new day, and let me guess… you have a few health goals in mind? Hmm…getting to a healthy weight one of them? Tightening and firming your skin? Kissing cellulite goodbye?
Guess what? I have a lotion for that! It takes about a two hour block of time but it yields A LOT of this luxurious fat blasting lotion that will have you kicking your cellulite (and even a few stretch marks) to the curb. A healthier weight in – fat out!
Let’s look at the rather unusual ingredient in this DIY lotion to support a healthy weight!
The caffeine in coffee works by breaking down fat cells and dehydrating the area where cellulite is and tightening and firming the skin for a temporarily smooth appearance. Notice that I said temporary. In order to keep those fat cells away for good, you need to make healthful changes to your diet, drink tons and tons of water, and walk. Yes, walk. As in take a walk around the block.
Looking for a great coffee? This is the one I use and love.
Kelp and Bladderwrack
Both of these sea vegetables are brimming with amino acids, fucose polymers, ursolic acid, polyglycosides and collagen which are the compounds that are the most effective in treating cellulite. Bladderwrack has properties that absorb fat from under the skin’s surface which diminishes cellulite. Kelp stimulates the flow of blood in your body while helping it get rid of excess fluid. This is what reduces the appearance of cellulite on your body.
The Essential Oil Lineup In This DIY Lotion To Support A Healthy Weight
No epic lotion would be complete without a smattering of essential oils. After all, they bring some very important benefits to the healthy weight and glowing skin table.
Juniper – increases circulation and helps to activate slow-growing tissues.
Fennel – helps your body flush out toxins such as the stagnant fat that’s causing your cellulite. It also pulls excessive water out of your tissues, which can minimize cellulite.
Lemon – helps to eliminate toxins and waste that are stored in the fat cells.
Grapefruit – prevents bloating, water retention and dissolves fat.
Orange – increases circulation and helps to prevent lymph build-up while reducing water retention, tightening skin, and strengthening capillaries.
Cinnamon leaf — helps to stimulate the flow of blood through the body and also strengthens connective tissues.
Cypress – Increases circulation, discourages fluid retention, and helps move toxins out of the body. Blue cypress is anti-inflammatory which can help increase blood flow.
Sage – When it comes to stretch marks, this oil helps improve circulation and regenerate the damaged skin.
And now, let me show you how to make the star of the show!
DIY Lotion To Support A Healthy Weight
- 2 cups (divided) of freshly brewed, STRONG coffee
- 1 tablespoon kelp powder
- 1/2 cup emulsifying wax (DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT substitute this with beeswax. It will be an epic fail)
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter]
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup olive or sweet almond oil
- 45 drops total of your choice of essential oils from the lineup mentioned above
- 3-5 drops of Vitamin E oil
- Combine the kelp powder and 1 cup of freshly brewed, COOLED coffee in a small heavy-bottomed sauce pan and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Heat this mixture to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes until it is thickened and somewhat gelatinous. If this mixtures starts to have an odd smell, don’t worry. It’s supposed to. It will go away.
- Strain the mixture into a mason jar or other glass jar, capable of holding 3 cups of lotion. Use a fine mesh cheesecloth or a fine mesh sieve.
- While the kelp and coffee mixture is simmering, melt the emulsifying wax, cocoa butter, coconut oil, and sweet almond oil over low heat, using the double broiler method. Alternatively, you can add the ingredients to a heat safe glass jar that you place in the hot water. You want the ingredients to just melt, not boil.
- When this mixture is melted, mix it in the glass jar with the kelp/coffee mixture and the remaining 1 cup of hot coffee. ALL the liquids need to be hot.
- Now it’s time to babysit the lotion while it sets. You will need to stir the mixture every few minutes because the coffee will try to separate from the rest of the mixture and go to the bottom of the jar. How long do you need to stir? Until the mixture is completely cool. Depending on the ambient air temp, it could take an hour. So grab a book, or grab your laptap, and chill for a bit. Just don’t forget to stir.
- When the mixture is almost cool you can add the essential oils and Vitamin E oil. When adding the essential oils, stir the mixture with a non-wooden spoon.
Apply twice daily to areas prone to or afflicted with cellulite.
Store in the refrigerator.
What essential oils do I use and love? Several brands actually.
1. My hands down favorite brand is Rocky Mountain Oils (also known as Native American Nutritionals). These are seriously the BEST brand I have ever used. They are strong. And I mean strong. I have seen some amazing things happen when using this brand.
2. GEO carries a great line of essentials oils and I have always had success with their oils. They are adding new blends frequently and are definitely worth a look!
3. I am really enjoying Plant Therapy essential oils as well. They are easy on the budget as well as being a high quality oil.