Winter has done a number on my lips this year. They have been so dry, chapped, cracked, and peeling that I can't seem to help but to bite the skin off of them, making my lips even worse off. Even though I knew that I needed a lip scrub, I was totally unwilling to shell out the dough that people were asking for their lip scrubs, when I knew that I can easily make a great tasting one with ingredients from my pantry.
Don't shell out big bucks for suspect ingredients
When I go shopping around the internet for any one of the supposed “high end” products like Sephora's lip scrub and Bliss's Fabulips, I find that you end up shelling out $20-$25 for a half ounce of product that contains many suspect ingredients in them. I don't know about you, but I don't really want to put stuff on my lips that contain ingredients that could be carcinogenic or cause allergic reactions (such as fragrances).
Not to mention that fact that anything going on your lips could accidentally be ingested through your mouth as well! For a quarter of the price, you can make 8x as much lip scrub, and know that you are getting the highest quality product.
Honey is naturally healing to the body and the skin
Did you know that many veterinarians use organic raw unfiltered honey as a natural owie cream? It's natural antibiotic and antiviral properties are so wonderful that just a dab of it on a cut or scrape can help it to heal faster than use of Neosporin. Not only does honey have natural antiseptic properties, it also helps the skin to heal itself up faster in the process. Adding this sweet delicious healing phenomenon to your lip scrub will help aid your lips in healing faster; and being a natural humectant, will lock in moisture so that they will stay soft and supple all day long!
Ingredient links to Amazon are affiliate links. Thank you for your support.
DIY Honey & Cinnamon Moisturizing Lip Scrub
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (you can use regular sugar here or even salt but brown sugar is tastier!)
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil (this can be substituted with any sort of oil such as almond, olive, etc.)
- 1 Tbsp. raw unfiltered honey (that pretend honey just won't do)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon powder (you can even do ginger powder, nutmeg, or cloves.)
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl and transfer to a small jar with a lid.
- To use: Rub a small amount onto your lips in a circular motion for 1-2 minutes. Rinse (or you could just lick it off if you really wanted too….) off with a wet washcloth and feel the difference!
- Follow with an oil based lip balm to lock in moisture!
NOTE: If you leave this lip scrub on your bathroom counter, where little four year old hands can find this, you might find them scooping it out and eating it straight from the jar when you enter the bathroom….just a warning! It's a good thing you know what is in your beauty products huh?