Remember when I told you how Udi's Gluten Free brand hooked me up in a huge way last month? Well, they did it again and this time, I received a box FULL of breakfast goodies.
Tiny's eye got WIDE as she spied muffins, cinnamon rolls, two bags of granola, bagels, bread, tortillas, and her favorite – cinnamon bread! Everything in the box is gluten free and with the exception of the blueberry muffins and the bread, are Udi's products that I had never tried.
Well, I have not been able to eat my way through the entire box of goodies yet but what I have tried has been delicious! The granola is VERY good and stays crunchy even when left in almond milk for an hour. No joke. It really was still crunchy! It was not too sweet and is a product you could easily tiviate and turn into a nice “energy bar” or trail mix.
The cinnamon rolls were a delicious treat for us one morning. Tiny gobbled up her ducks eggs, knowing that the lure of hot cinnamon rolls was only a few bites away. I swear, the child's eye rolled back in her head from delight when she tasted that cinnamon roll. She has never had one to begin with and definitely became a fan of the Udi's variety. I liked them as well however, I sort of have an aversion to cinnamon rolls due to all the airplane travel I did for work. Airports always smell like cinnamon rolls to me, thus my aversion. But I admit, the Udi's brand could make me a fan again!
I decided that this was the perfect occasion to share my beloved Cinnamon Bread Breakfast Bread Pudding recipe. And to clarify, cinnamon bread and cinnamon rolls smell completely different to me. Night and day. So no aversion to cinnamon bread here!
Anyway, this recipe is really easy and for a tasty twist, you can ramp it up with the banana version as well. It is quite nutrient dense despite being loaded with carbs, so if you are going to indulge in “bread” for breakfast, this would be the way to do it.
Some of the ingredient links might possibly be affiliate links. Please do not let that bother you. You don't have to click on them. Or you can. And if you buy something and I get a small piece of the action, I will actually be able to pay my blog IT guy this month! Score! (For him.)
Cinnamon Bread Breakfast Bread Pudding
- Coconut oil cooking spray
- 2 cups coconut milk or organic half & half
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter
- 2/3 cup honey
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground sweet cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 3 cups Udi’s gluten free cinnamon bread, torn into small pieces
- 1/4 cup of organic raisins
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 9-inch x 13-inch baking pan or a 1 1/2 quart casserole with coconut oil cooking spray.
- Heat coconut milk (or half & half) in a saucepan over medium heat just until film forms over top. Add coconut oil or butter and stir until it is melted.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, whisk together honey, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Slowly add in the milk mixture.
- Place the bread in your baking dish and pour the batter on top of the bread. Set aside to let soak for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with raisins then bake until firm in the middle and golden brown around the edges, 45 to 55 minutes. Set aside to let cool for 10 minutes and serve warm but not hot.
While whisking the honey and eggs, mash in 1 very ripe, large banana. Add the rest of the ingredients as noted above. To compensate for the increased moisture, add an additional 1/4 – 1/2 cup of bread.
In a glass bowl, whisk 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream and 3 tablespoons of honey until soft peaks form. Serve bread pudding with whipped cream dolloped on top.
I hope you enjoy this delicious breakfast as much as we do!