When it comes to coconut oil, I have tried many different brands. I take my product recommendations seriously which is why I created this page. I want to give you some background information on the four coconut oils that I use, love, and trust so that you have several options available when selecting your first, thirtieth, or hundredth jar of coconut oil.
This was the first coconut oil I ever tried and I knew immediately that it was an incredible oil. The company itself is pretty amazing thanks to the dedication of the owners and the staff. They have a commitment to fair trade practices. I have had nothing but positive experiences with them time and time again!
Aside from the fact that Tropical Traditions offers one of the highest quality coconut oils available, there are a whole host of reasons why you should do business with them. Here are just a few highlights:
- They offer 3 different kinds of coconut oil (Gold Label Coconut Oil, Green Label Coconut Oil, and Expeller Pressed Coconut Oil) so you can always have a variety available in your home for the various uses;
- Tropical Traditions Gold Label coconut oil is a truly unrefined coconut oil;
- Their coconut oil is made from organic coconuts;
- Coconuts are used fresh (within 24-48 hours of harvest) from small family farms on Mt. Banahaw and other rural places in Quezon Province, the coconut capital of the Philippines;
- Only the highest quality coconuts are hand-picked from each harvest. The volcanic soil of Mt. Banahaw makes these organic coconuts some of the most nutritionally rich coconuts in the world;
- The fresh coconut meat is shredded (wet milled), and then cold-pressed using the water from inside the coconuts to make coconut milk. The milk is then allowed to sit for about half a day, while the oil naturally separates from the heavier water. The oil is then filtered from the curds (coconut solids);
- Tropical Traditions DOES NOT mass produce this oil. It is made by families who are coconut farmers using old-fashioned traditional methods that have been used in the Philippines for hundreds of years. The families who produce the oil are also trained according to GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) standards and re-certified each year;
- You can purchase a five gallon pail of any of their coconut oils which makes it very affordable!
I was very familiar with the Barlean’s line of products having used their Omega and Flax oils for a couple of years. When I had the opportunity to review their coconut oil, I was thrilled. Not only is this my favorite coconut oil to eat straight off the spoon, it is the coconut oil that my daughter literally begs for!
Another company that offers one of the highest quality coconut oils available, there are a whole host of reasons why you should do business with Barlean’s. Here are just a few highlights:
- The coconuts used to produce the coconut oil are island fresh from the province of Quezon in the Philippians;
- The coconut oil itself has an exceptional coconut flavor and aroma;
- It is superior to other brands in that the coconuts are hand selected then harvested at the peak of flavor & nutritional value;
- The oil is cold pressed from fresh coconut meat on demand;
- The coconut oil is bottled on demand, not mass produced and stored;
- It is solvent and chemical free;
- Barlean’s coconut oil is certified organic by the USDA;
- It is packed in black, opaque plastic bottles made of high-density polyethylene (HDPE). HDPE is fully approved by the US and Canadian governments for vegetable oils and has an untarnished record of health and safety.
This company has been such a joy to work with. Their customer service is simply incredible. I love that this was a woman owned small business and from everything I can discern, a very reputable one at that.
Kelapo offers one of the highest quality unrefined organic coconut oils available and there are a whole host of reasons why you should do business with them. Here are just a few highlights:
- The coconut oil is harvested from organically cultivated coconut palms, grown exclusively on Fair Trade farms on the island of Sri Lanka;
- The practices of the farmers they source from include the use of non-chemical fertilizers, pesticides and herbicides. They also include maintenance and improvement of soil fertility, weed control and pest control by natural means;
- The coconut oil is extracted from fresh coconut meat using the cold pressed method;
- Kelapo incorporates eco-friendly practices to protect and preserve the planet’s natural resources;
- The coconut oil has a smooth flavor with a light hint of coconut that is not overpowering;
- The coconut oil is packaged in amber colored glass jars which help reduce light to the coconut oil and increase the shelf life;
- They offer their coconut oil in a one gallon bulk jug as well.