August is upon us! Hard to believe right? I hope you all have been enjoying the warm weather and sunny skies by spending lots of time outdoors.
After a long day in the sun, I often crave something besides plain ol’ water, iced herbal tea, or even my usual Kombucha. I don’t sit and drink hard alcohol or beer anymore and wine during summer just doesn’t appeal to me. I prefer my wine when the temperatures are cooler!
To solve my beverage dilemma, I spent July getting creative in the kitchen using Kombucha as my base. I make tons of it, already love it, so why not tinker with it and take Kombucha to the next level?
Back in the day, my drink of choice was a Midori Sour. I could drink those all night long. I loved the sweet mixed with the bit of sour. So of course, I thought it might be fun to relive my early 20’s and make a Midori inspired Kombucha Cocktail. (I honestly haven’t had Midori in at least 17 years!)
Oh my stars! Trust me. Oh my stars!
First, Midori is a huge win for being gluten-free. It can be tough to find gluten free alcohol believe it or not. Second, it isn’t really a hard alcohol insofar as taste. So for the occasional indulgence in a Kombucha cocktail, I’m sold!
Ready for the recipe? Mmm…my mouth is watering.
Midori Kombucha Cocktail
- • 12 ounces Kombucha, unflavored
- • 1 ounce of Midori
- • 1 ounce organic apple juice (fresh pressed it best)
- • Juice from half a lime
- • Juice from half a lemon
- 1. Fill a 16 ounce glass with ice
- 2. Pour in the Midori
- 3. Pour in the Kombucha
- 4. Add the apple juice
- 5. Squeeze in the lime and lemon juice
- 6. Stir gently from the bottom of the glass
- If this Kombucha cocktail is a bit too sour (it will depend on your base Kombucha), you can add a wee bit more apple juice or even a touch of honey. I made this three times and it turned out differently each time because of the unique flavor of each batch of Kombucha.
Hmmm….wheels turning. And then it hit me! Kombucha Sangria! Like I said, I am not a fan of wine, especially red during summer, but I figured that this sort of recipe might just make red wine doable on a hot summer night.
It took a LOT of tinkering to get this recipe right. My gosh. I almost felt guilty making this so much. But the end result was great. I will warn you, this is best made in a large batch and shared with friends. Small batches just didn’t turn out as good.
- • 1 bottle red wine (make sure it doesn’t have any earthy undertones. Stick with a red that is pretty neutral)
- • 8 ounces fresh squeezed orange juice
- • 8 ounces pineapple juice
- • 4 pineapple rings, diced
- • 1 orange, sliced
- • 1 lime sliced
- • 1 apple wedged and then sliced
- • 1 cup fresh or frozen berries (blueberries and blackberries are my favorite)
- • 1/2 gallon of unflavored Kombucha, chilled
- 1. Mix all of the ingredients EXCEPT the Kombucha in a large pitcher or bowl.
- 2. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- 3. When you are ready to serve, gently stir the Sangria base and slowly pour in the Kombucha.
- 4. Ladle into glasses and enjoy!