As part of the awesome Heart of Cooking giveaway, I promised that I would share one of my favorite recipes from the menu planners. Hands down my favorite recipe is the sweet potato and black bean tacos. I LOVE sweet potato and I love tacos. I also love to incorporate beans whenever I can. The flavor combinations in this recipe are wonderful. Even Tiny loves these tacos and she is rather particular in tastes. Try it out and let me know your thoughts!
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Taco Recipe (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan)
- 1-2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced in medium chunks
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 1 lime, squeezed
- 1/2 cup mild green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 8-12 corn tortillas
- Peel the sweet potatoes and dice them into small, ½” cubes. Steam them in a saucepan with steamer basket with 2” of water for 10-15 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil to medium heat and cook the garlic briefly. Stir frequently so that it doesn’t burn. Add the lime juice, cumin, cayenne and chili powder. Cook briefly. Add the beans, green chilies and salt. Combine thoroughly. Reduce heat to a simmer and add the sweet potatoes. Stir gently to avoid them breaking up.
- In a separate pan, heat a little oil to medium-high heat and then cook each tortilla for 1 minute or so on each side or until they are soft but golden.
- Place 1/3 cup of the black bean mix into each tortilla and garnish with chopped cilantro.
Some links may be affiliate links.