As an earth loving mama, I feel that it is very important to expose children to green living practices from the first day of their life. From using cloth diapers and cloth wipes, to switching over to cloth “tissues,” to committing to incorporate more earth friendly ways of living into your home, children who grow up living a green lifestyle will be our best hope at fixing this broken planet of ours.
Tiny is only three but she knows what items to recycle and what items to put into the regular garbage. She uses cloth to wipe her bottom, not paper toilet tissue. She blows her little nose in cloth tissues and cleans her hands with cloth napkins. She has no idea what paper plates are. Same with plastic cups. We shop with reusable bags and we keep her snacks in reusable snack bags.
I do as much as I can to help Tiny understand how important it is to save our resources and to take gentle, loving care of our planet. Sometimes, I need a little extra assistance or some inspiration! Thank goodness for the internet.
Below is a list of some of my favorite online green resources for children. These sites are educational, have games and activities for all ages, and provide parents with some great tips on incorporating green living practices into their family. I hope you find a few that might inspire your wee ones!
- Buddy Bison – Explore the Nation's Parks
- Crafts For Kids – Earth Day Activities
- Earth Day Crafts For Kids
- Earth Day – Every Day!
- Eco Kids
- Eco Savvy Kids
- Eeko World
- Environmental Kids Club
- Free Rice – Test your vocabulary! For each correct answer 10 grains of rice are donated through the UN End World Food Program to end hunger.
- Global Kids
- Global Warming Kids
- Go Green Stories
- Go Green with your Kids at iVillage
- Kids Planet
- Little Green Blog
- Kid's Corner – Center for Climate and Energy Solutions
- Ocean Conservancy
- Paper Back Swap
- Polar Bears International
- The Green Guide for Kids
- Tree Hugger
- Tristin and Tyler Check Out Cool Green Products
- United Nations Environment Program – Children's Corner
- World Wildlife Education
And here are a few great sites for parents to find some “green” educational inspiration:
- How to teach your children to be earth-friendly
- Teach a Preschooler to Go Green
- Teach Your Kids To Go Green
- Three Fun Ways to Go Green