I have been a longtime fan of making homemade gummy candy (gummies). While there are some decent “natural” gummies on store shelves, I personally like to be in better control of the ingredients. Plus, gummies are super easy to make!
As you all know, I am a HUGE fan of CBD oil and CBD products. As such, I decided to see what all the fuss was about when it came to CBD gummies. I scoured the internet and while I found a couple of brands of CBD gummies that weren’t loaded with junk ingredients, I will still bummed that they relied on corn syrup. Corn is a complete NO for me. And so…
Homemade CBD Gummies were born.
I was kind of nervous about making these. I didn’t want to waste any of my precious CBD oil. (This stuff is like gold in my house!) I wanted to ensure that each CBD gummy had at least 5mgs of CBD in it otherwise they seemed like a huge waste to make.
My goal was to create CBD gummies that my daughter would love (yes, CBD oil is safe for children) so I could get her daily amount of CBD in with ease. I also wanted to create a tasty way to add a little more CBD to my daily diet.
It took a little bit of trail and error to make the magic happen but when all was said and done, I created some super tasty, high potency CBD gummies. (Don’t worry – you really can’t overdose on CBD oil so feel free to enjoy these often).
Two important notes about how to make CBD gummies
1. Oil and water (or juice) don’t mix well. As such, I personally use this glycerine based CBD tincture (use coupon code HYBRIDRASTAMAMA to get 10% off). It works wonderfully. However, I know a lot of you would prefer to use the oil based CBD tincture you have on hand. No worries! I added an alternate method in the Notes section of the recipe. You need to work fast but this creates a gummy where the oil won’t separate as much.
2. The gummy molds I use are pretty important. I have tried quite a few and my favorite two options are:
The original size silicone molds are easy to use and come with a dropper to make things easy. I haven’t had a problem removing the CBD gummies in one piece. The jumbo gummy molds are great when you have a young helper as they are easier to fill. These are also a wonderful option if you would like a gummy with a higher strength of CBD.
Ok! Who is ready to make some CBD gummies? Lets do this!
How To Make CBD Gummies
- ½ cup of gelatin – I will ONLY use this brand of gelatin as it has loads of healthful properties
- 1 ½ cups of juice of your choice – you can use bottled or fresh squeezed juice. The brand of juice I have had the best luck with is Santa Cruz Organic
- 1 teaspoon of sweetener - I recommend this raw honey
- 24 drops of glycerine based CBD oil * (don't forget to use coupon code HYBRIDRASTAMAMA to get 10% off)
- Natural food dye
- Pour the gelatin into a glass bowl.
- In a medium size saucepan, mix the juice with the raw honey and warm the mixture until it starts to simmer. Please do this on the stovetop over low heat. No microwaving here!
- Pull off the liquid from the heat.
- Mix the liquid into the gelatin by whisking quickly. Allow the liquid to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add the CBD tincture into the mixture.
- Give everything a final whisking to make sure all ingredients are mixed well.
- If using dye, add that now and whisk again. I divide my mixture into small bowls and add different colors at this point.
- Pour the mixture into gummy molds and put them into the refrigerator.
- Allow the molds to stay in the fridge until they seem firm.
- Carefully remove the CBD gummies from the molds and store in an airtight container. I keep mine in the fridge since it is so warm here. If your house is cool, they will be fine at room temperature.
Alternate Method Using An Oil Based CBD Tincture
When using an oil based CBD tincture, you will find that it separates from the juice mixture unless you work REALLY fast and are using a "thicker" juice like mango or pear. I've made it work but after getting a lot of emails from people frustrated by the oil separating I thought I would share a better method with you.
When using an oil based CBD tincture, DO NOT add the CBD oil into the juice/gelatin mixture. Instead, follow these directions:
- Fill each gummy mold half way with the juice mixture and place 2-3 drops of CBD oil into each individual gummy mold.
- Place the gummies in the fridge for 15-20 minutes to cool them.
- Remove from fridge and top each gummy off with 2-5 additional drops of CBD oil and the rest of the juice. (The number of drops you choose depends on the potency you want the CBD gummies to be.*) You do need to try to work quickly so have everything ready to go when you start the process.
There will be some separation but the gummies themselves will still taste great!
A note about potency
* You can choose the milligrams of CBD oil based on what you have available. The more milligrams of CBD per bottle, the more potent the gummies will be. To find out how many milligrams are in each drop of your CBD oil, refer to this post.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 100 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 5 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 3mg Carbohydrates: 1g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Protein: 1g
Don’t want to make your own? No biggie. I get it. Life happens. If I were ordering something premade, I would get these CBD gummies. They are the healthiest on the market, have a decent amount of CBD oil in them, and taste awesome!
Please visit my post on the Best CBD Oil to learn more and grab one of my favorite products.
Don’t want to read another post! No problem! Here are the brands of CBD Oil I recommend:
- 4 Corners Cannabis – use code HYBRIDRASTAMAMA and get 20% off your order anytime! This is an amazing company with outstanding CBD oil for both people and pets! They also make my favorite Vape oil and they carry a remarkable Pet CBD oil.
- Green HoriZen – I LOVE this company for a bazillion reasons. They have a huge and tasty ZERO THC product line!
- Nano CBD+ – these are awesome CBD patches. Use code SAVE15 at checkout to save 15% off your order.