I get a lot of questions related to CBD oil. Is CBD Oil right for me? What are the types of CBD products? What is the best CBD oil on the market? Can pets take CBD? Is CBD oil safe for children? The most popular question is “how much CBD oil should I take?”
CBD oil is generally considered safe for anyone. (Be sure to refer back to my post on CBD oil interfering with other medications as there are some people that need to use extreme care). Children of all ages can take it. Adults. Seniors.
There is really no right or wrong amount of CBD oil one can take daily. It depends a lot on the specific brand or product, what you are using the CBD oil for, your overall health, your toxin load, your stress level, your schedule, and your finances.
So let’s get it to shall we?
How Much CBD Oil Should I Take? I’m an adult (or young adult) over 75 pounds.
First, would you classify your current health challenges as mild, moderate, or severe? This makes a difference. Someone with mild health issues who wants to take CBD oil for general wellness requires a different daily amount than someone who is battling cancer.
Below is a general guide for how much CBD oil an adult might consider taking daily along with a few examples of what health issue falls into that specific category. The health issues listed for each category are by no means an exhaustive list.
- Mild health challenges (general wellness, stress, low-grade anxiety, restlessness at night, occasional headaches) = 50+ mg CBD daily
- Moderate health challenges (weak immune system, allergies, arthritis, anxiety with occasional anxiety attacks, trouble falling and staying asleep, frequent headaches) = 80+ mg CBD daily
- Severe (Fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, colitis, Chron’s disease, debilitating anxiety with panic attacks, migraines, insomnia) = 120+ mg CBD daily
- Life Scare (Parkinson’s disease, dementia, Alzheimer’s, cancer) = 200+ mg CBD daily
The Mayo Clinic suggests CBD serving sizes and frequency based on scientific research, publications, traditional use, or expert opinion. I’m not sure whether or not I completely agree with them. But I thought it would possibly be helpful to include these.
Here are a few answers to specific ailments and the question of how much CBD oil should I take? (Based on the recommendations of the Mayo Clinic.)
- To increase appetite in cancer patients: 1 mg daily for six weeks
- To treat chronic pain: 2.5-20 mg daily for an average of 25 days
- To treat epilepsy: 200-300 mg daily
- To treat movement problems associated with Huntington’s disease: 10 mg of CBD per kilogram of body weight daily for six weeks
- To treat sleep disorders: 40-160 mg daily
- To treat multiple sclerosis symptoms: Cannabis plant extracts containing 2.5-120 milligrams of a THC-CBD combination by mouth daily for 2-15 weeks.
- To treat schizophrenia: 40-1,280 mg daily.
- To treat glaucoma: a single CBD dose of 20-40 mg under the tongue. Doses greater than 40 mg may actually increase eye pressure.
My suggestion is that no matter what amount you ultimately end up needing, ALWAYS start with no more than 50mgs. You want to work up to a higher amount over the course of about 10 -14 days. This will give your body the best opportunity possible to fully utilize the CBD without shocking the system. 200mgs right out of the gate certainly wouldn’t harm you but you might feel overly tired and sluggish from your body trying to heal at such a rapid pace. Some people may need to start a lot slower… like 5mgs per day.
How Much CBD Oil Should I Take? I’m a child under 75 pounds and/or 12 years of age.
Most of the research done suggests starting with 0.5 mg/pound/day. Divide it into three servings. Increase by 0.5 mg/pound/day every week, until you see maximum benefits. Be conservative. Dosing in small amounts will give you more control in achieving the optimum dose that benefits your child. Be patient. Taper up slowly.
Worried your child make take CBD oil in excess? To put your mind at ease… check this out because you really can’t overdose on CBD oil.
A one-year study enrolled 214 children from all across the United States with treatment resistant epilepsy. They required multiple medications and were having repeated breakthrough seizures. They were given CBD in huge doses – 25-50-mg/kg/day. Assuming the child is only 45 pounds, this dose is equivalent to 500-1000-mg of CBD EVERY DAY FOR A YEAR. The result of the national study showed that CBD reduces the seizures by a third and there was an adequate safety profile.
It cannot be emphasized enough that these were huge doses, much larger than normally needed to treat other disorders such as anxiety, inflammation, or insomnia. This might give you reassurance that if a dose of 1000-mg is safe to take (in a child) over one year, then surely, much lower doses are safe as well.
When Should I Take CBD Oil?
That is up to you really! There is no right or wrong time of day to take CBD oil.
People may react to CBD differently, depending on when the CBD oil supplement is taken. If you find that your supplement has awakening effects, you may opt for a morning CBD routine or take your supplement in the early afternoon when your energy levels start to lag. If CBD oil makes you feel relaxed, you may find taking your supplement in the evenings is best. Try adjusting when you take CBD oil each day to find the ideal time for you.
Most people prefer to keep a steady amount in their system. Therefore, they split the amount of CBD they take into 2-3 servings per day. (This is what I do!)
If you are simply using CBD oil for general health and wellness, it can be best to take it before bedtime since it promotes restful sleep and relaxation.
Should I Take CBD Oil After a Meal or On an Empty Stomach?
The general consensus is that yes, CBD oil should be taken with food. Taking CBD oil with other foods may enhance bioavailability and increase the concentration of CBD to reach your bloodstream. Bioavailability is the degree and rate that a substance, in this case CBD, is absorbed and delivered to the bloodstream where it can interact with the body’s native systems.
When you take any supplement orally, its active ingredients are absorbed through the digestive system. If we’re looking at specifically CBD oil, the CBD and other compounds are first broken down in the stomach before being absorbed by the small intestine and then sent through the portal vein directly to your liver. It’s at the liver that certain foods can become beneficial to the absorption rate of CBD.
At the liver, a family of enzymes called cytochrome P450 (CYP450) acts on CBD, metabolizing the compounds before they’re distributed through the circulatory system. During this process, what occurs is a phenomenon referred to as first pass metabolism, which breaks CBD into more than 100 different metabolites, many of which are not used by the body and quickly excreted. This diminishes the concentration of CBD and therefore reduces its bioavailability. In short, less CBD reaches your bloodstream.
CBD oil has a greater effect when taken with foods that contain various fatty acids (medium and long chain triglycerides) specifically. The loss of CBD concentration has limited impact because the foods help CBD to bypass the first pass metabolism process. Examples of ideal foods include but are not restricted to fish, nuts, grapes, olives, marjoram, spinach, coconut, eggs and milk.
While some other websites may encourage you to take CBD oil orally on an empty stomach for faster results, doing so can reduce the overall potency of the CBD oil.
Don’t panic though! CBD will still have an effect whether or not you take it with or without food.
Confused by the serving size recommendations on your CBD product?
Let’s look at how to find the milligrams (mgs) per drop of any CBD product.
First, start with these 2 questions:
- How many milliliters (ml) is the bottle? It should be printed on the label.
- How many total milligrams (mg) of CBD are the bottle? See label.
- 1ml = 20 droplets of liquid
- A full dropper of most bottles are equal to 1ml
You will need a calculator for this!
Let’s say you have in your hand a 30ml bottle with 1000mg of CBD in it. You first need to know how much CBD there is per milliliter (ml) in order to figure out the proper serving size.
- 1000mg of CBD divided by 30ml
- 1000 / 30 = 33.33. Always round down so you get a little extra CBD in the end. There are roughly 33mg of CBD per milliliter or one dropper full.
We have to dig deeper…hang in there!
- Remember, 1ml = 20 droplets of liquid. There are 33mg of CBD per ml.
- 33mg divided by 20 droplets = 1.65
- There are 1.65mg of CBD in one single droplet (or one long vape hit) of your product!
Almost done! I promise!
- Let’s say you decide to take 18mg of CBD, three times per day. You know one droplet contains 1.65mg of CBD
- 18mg divided by 1.65mg = 11
- You need 11 drops of your product to achieve 18mg.
You only need to do this once with the product you have. Now you know forever how many drops you need to achieve a specific serving size. You may need a bit less or a bit more depending on what is going on health wise, but this formula is a good place to start.
Beware Of Low Milligram CBD In Big Bottles
The size of the bottle does not matter unless the milligram amount is very high. Smaller bottles with high milligrams of CBD are the best. It means more potency per droplet.
For example, a 200mg CBD product in a 30ml bottle would require a lot of product to achieve the desired 18mg.
- 200mg / 30ml =6.6mg of CBD per ml
- 6.6 / 20 = 0.33mg of CBD per droplet.
- 18mg / 0.33 = 54
54 DROPLETS ARE NEEDED TO ACHIEVE JUST 18MG
That’s a lot of droplets to take! That’s almost 3 full droppers! CBD that is diluted down this much is not as good as if it were a higher milligram.
Now lets say you find that same 1000mg of CBD offered in a 30ml bottle.
- 1000 / 30 = 33.33mg of CBD per ml
- 33.33 / 20 = 1.66mg of CBD per droplet
- 18mg / 1.66 = 10.84
10.84 (11) droplets are needed to achieve 18mg! That is about half a dropper. You see where it makes much more financial sense to purchase the bottle that has the higher milligram concentration of CBD oil?
I hope this guide on How Much CBD Oil Should I Take has proved helpful! At the very least, it ought to give you a start on your CBD journey.
Please visit my post on the Best CBD Oil to learn more and grab one of my favorite products.
Don’t want to read another post! No problem! Here are the brands of CBD Oil I recommend:
- 4 Corners Cannabis – use code HYBRIDRASTAMAMA and get 20% off your order anytime! This is an amazing company with outstanding CBD oil for both people and pets! They also make my favorite Vape oil and they carry a remarkable Pet CBD oil.
- Green HoriZen – I LOVE this company for a bazillion reasons. They have a huge and tasty ZERO THC product line!
- Nano CBD+ – these are awesome CBD patches. Use code SAVE15 at checkout to save 15% off your order.
- “Cannabidiol in patients with treatment-resistant epilepsy: an open-label interventional trial.” Lancet Neurol. 2016 Mar;15(3):270-278