I adore grilling in the summertime! It helps keep the house cooler since I am not using the oven or stove. Plus, grilling is synonymous with summer right?
Our garden is HUGE this year. Over flowing really. So I have been getting mighty creative with tomatoes. We can't eat them fast enough it seems.
I gave fennel a shot this year and much to my surprise, it actually grew. I planted a lot just in case so we have fennel coming out of our ears as well!
I decided to mix these two garden treats together to create an easy recipe for the grill that really pop with flavor! It takes no time at all and the flavors in this recipe really come together.
Grilled Fennel and Tomatoes with Basil
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut length-wise in ½ inch thick wedges
- 4 small sized tomatoes, halved (plum tomatoes work great otherwise something that size)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or olive oil (you can find both from my affiliate partner Tropical Traditions
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup rough chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice from one large lemon
- A sprinkle of fresh garlic
- Turn the grill on medium (or prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire).Rub the fennel and tomato halves with the ¼ cup of oil and salt and pepper.
- Place the fennel and tomatoes on the grill and cook for about 3-4 minutes per side. You want the fennel slightly soft and the tomatoes lightly browned.
- Remove from the grill and place the fennel and tomatoes in a large bowl. Add the basil, olive oil, lemon, and garlic to the bowl and gently mix without turning the tomatoes to goop!
- This dish is best serve immediately to retain some of the warmth!