Show of hands. Who here has tried cranberry and gingerbread rolled into one delicious somewhat sweet, somewhat spicy, somewhat tart treat? Oh, you haven’t? Well then…let’s change that right now!
This cranberry gingerbread creation was completely accidental.
My daughter was helping me in the kitchen and spices just started flowing into the bowl. When I tried the batter I was shocked at how tasty it was. My original goal was to make an orange cranberry bread but I quickly switched gears and went gingerbread style!
What a wonderful accident. This light cranberry gingerbread has become a family favorite. Give it a try. It’s kid tested and approved!
Cranberry Gingerbread (Gluten Free)
Yield 12 servings
Who here has tried cranberry and gingerbread rolled into one delicious somewhat sweet, somewhat spicy, somewhat tart treat? Oh, you haven't? Well then...let's change that right now with this awesome gluten free cranberry gingerbread recipe.
- 3 cups gluten free baking mix (this recipe does not work well with coconut flour.)
- 1 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla OR vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries (honestly, this brand is hands down the best)
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Grease a 9-inch square pan. Lightly dust with flour and tap out any excess.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt until no streaks remain.
- Combine lightly beaten eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, molasses and softened butter. Stir together all ingredients using a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Bake until a wooden toothpick or cake tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean (about 25-30 minutes).
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 5 minutes; run a blunt knife along outer edges of cake and remove from pan.