Jock itch. Just the name is cringe worthy. Hearing those two works together conjures up images of rashy looking male genitalia. Except jock itch isn’t just a men’s health issue. Nope – women can get it too.
Before we discuss coconut oil for jock itch, it is important to understand this health issue a bit better.
What is the Jock Itch?
Jock itch is a fungal infection usually caused by sweat. The word “jock” references athletes who are often prone to this fungal infection as they sweat heavily and often wear tight underwear /clothing. Athletes are not the only people at risk of procuring a case of jock itch though. Just about anyone can get jock itch.
Jock itch affects the genitals and inner thighs, producing an itchy red rash around warm and moist areas of the body. The most common symptom of jock itch in both women and men involves a burning or itching sensation in the affected area. This is usually followed by redness and flaking skin in the region. If not treated promptly, jock itch can spread further to the inner thighs and buttocks as well. In some cases, the rash may develop into bumps, scales or blisters on the skin surface.
While heat, sweat, and tight clothing can bring on a case of jock itch, Tinea cruris, its scientific name is an opportunistic infection frequently caused by a weakened immune system. Jock itch can even be one of the sneaky candida symptoms.
Bingo! This is where coconut oil for jock itch comes in.
Coconut oil improves or amplifies your immune system’s ability to protect against all kinds of infections and diseases. It’s chiefly composed of Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) which give it incredible healing and protective powers. This makes coconut oil for jock itch a true go-to natural remedy.
Coconut oil can help jock itch in several ways.
1. Coconut oil has antimicrobial properties
Jock itch is caused mainly due to a fungal infection and sometimes due to bacteria. Coconut oil has an anti-microbial property which acts against the bacteria, viruses, and fungus.
Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, and it has proven to kill various gram-positive bacteria and some viruses. Coconut oil has also shown great antifungal properties against Candida and can thus be used in the fungal treatment. Thus the topical application of coconut oil to the affected area may reduce the fungal growth and promotes healing.
2. Coconut oil reduces inflammation
Jock itch causes inflammation in the groin area. Coconut oil has anti-inflammatory properties, which helps in the reduction of the inflammation by influencing the synthesis and release of the mediators of inflammation.
3. Coconut oil promotes skin healing
Coconut oil has wonderful healing properties. Coconut oil increases the activity of the chemical components responsible for the healing of the skin and also provides essential elements which increase blood circulation to the affected area.
Coconut oil is rich in Medium Chain Triglycerides (caprylic, capric and lauric acids) , which also helps in the healing of the jock itch and protects the skin from further infection.
How To Use Coconut Oil for Jock Itch
To start, make sure you are consuming plenty of coconut oil throughout the day. Yes, this means eat it! If you need some ideas, check out my post on how to consume coconut oil. There are a few coconut oil candy recipe ideas for you as well. And don’t worry – you can’t overdose on coconut oil. But if you are not accustomed to taking it, be sure to read that post above so you don’t overdo right out of the gate.
Apply coconut oil to the affected area several times per day.
You can use straight coconut oil on the afflicted area several times per day. You definitely want to apply it after bathing (be sure you dry off thoroughly). Apply it before bed as well. You can pretty much apply as you remember throughout the day. Just be sure to rub it in well and be aware that it will leave oil marks on your clothing. Never fear – you can get coconut oil stains out easily.
Make a healing coconut oil for jock itch remedy
While you can use coconut oil for jock itch as is, you can make it into a mixture of other natural ingredients that encourage better and more efficient healing. All these oils have the active, anti-inflammatory properties. These ingredients are known to help with skin problems, with apple cider vinegar acting as a potent anti-fungal agent.
If that remedy seems like to much work, you can also try this simpler one:
Garlic and Coconut Oil for Jock Itch
While raw garlic can cause skin aggravation in certain cases, combining it with coconut oil would help create a protective barrier on the skin surface. This would ensure that the garlic is able to do its job of killing the jock itch fungus without harming the skin in the process.
What you need
- Coconut oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Peel a few cloves of garlic and fry them in 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil for about 10 minutes.
- Let the oil cool down and strain it.
- Apply this oil directly on the infected area. Leave it on for 2-3 hours and then wash it off with lukewarm water. Air-dry the area.
- Do this 2-3 times on a daily basis to get rid of jock itch quickly.
Beyond Coconut Oil – 11 General Tips to Treat Jock Itch
- Consider taking a supplement that is proven to repair your body at the cellular level. Phytozon is the only product on the market that actually does this. It has so many other benefits as well.
- Good personal hygiene is a must during this period. Keep the infected area clean and neat. Also make sure that the area is dry as the fungus that causes the infection thrives in a moist environment. Always make it a point to dry the area with a soft towel after showering.
- Shower immediately after exercising or if you sweat heavily as this would otherwise give more room for the fungus to grow and spread to other parts of the body.
- Avoid bath products that contain chemicals in them as this can aggravate the condition. Use only a mild soap like this one.
- Prevent moisture accumulation in the infected area by dusting with some healing clay powder. Do this before wearing your underwear to prevent the fungus from growing.
- Refrain from wearing tight clothes that can possibly increase perspiration in the infected area. This would create a moist environment for the jock itch fungus to grow and spread.
- Wash your clothes with this natural laundry powder to get rid of any residual fungus that might be clinging to them without causing more of an irritation to the area because of harsh chemicals.
- Eat a diet rich in probiotics. Foods like milk, yogurt and curd increase the levels of the good bacteria in your body. These good bacteria will power your body to fight off jock itch in an effective manner. However, if your jock itch is caused by candidate, dairy isn’t a good idea.
- Take a break from exercise. If your rash is severe, avoid strenuous physical activities that would aggravate the rash further. Take a break from your regular exercise routine until the infection has completely cleared. This would prevent it from recurring.
- As much as you might be tempted to do so, do not scratch the infected area. This will only worsen the condition.
- And finally, do not share your personal belongings like towels and clothes with others until you get rid of jock itch completely. Jock itch is contagious and can easily move to anyone who uses your belongings.
And there you have it! How to use coconut oil for jock itch plus many other tips and tricks!
Sources for this post include: