This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of MELT Organic. The opinions and text are all mine. Pinky swear.
I spend a lot of time in the kitchen but you all knew that already. But I bet you didn’t know that my absolute favorite thing to do is bake. While I don’t personally eat a lot of sweet treats, I do adore the art of baking.
For me, baking is really is an art form. Combining ingredients in ways that create a burst of flavor filled fun is just something I really, really enjoy doing. Sure, making a stellar main dish is great too but there is just something about baking. It relaxes me. It grounds me. Am I sounding a little weird at this point?
Wouldn’t be the first time…
Anyhoo, I was in the mood to bake something chocolaty. But I was also in the mood to bake with a seasonal flavor. Hmmm…I looked out the window and saw our orange tree. Bam! Chocolate and orange. Perfect combo.
I was also really anxious to try this new organic spread that came across my radar.
MELT® Organic is a line of luscious, organic spreads made from healthy oils for butter lovers seeking a much healthier alternative. They are available in Rich & Creamy (original), Honey, and NEW Chocolate. Each variety of MELT® Organic features the Perfect Blend of the healthiest oils that have been carefully chosen to be good tasting and good for you. Their Perfect Blend is made from some of MY favorite natural, fruit- and plant-based organic oil including virgin coconut oil and flaxseed oil. (There are a few other oils in there but those two are ones I use and love a lot!)
Each variety of MELT Organic is soy free, gluten free, dairy free, and trans-fat free with no hydrogenated oils or artificial ingredients. All of their organic oils are ethically sourced to ensure optimal healthful qualities, social responsibility and sustainable farming practices.
So before I continue, let’s address the big elephant that is about to crowd into the room. Canola oil. Yes, there is canola oil in these blends but stay with me here…it’s not totally a bad thing.
The following information is straight from the MELT Organic website. I verified everything written here to be true and correct. In short, I am not worried about consuming this small amount of organic canola oil.
Organic canola oil is a bred (NOT genetically modified) variety of rapeseed and is part of the mustard (or Brassica) family whose other members include broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale and mustard greens. We only use organic canola oil that is expeller-pressed (hexane-free), and tested for GMOs and rancidity in every batch. Its monounsaturated fat content (similar to levels found in olive oil) and relatively high Omega-3 content make canola oil beneficial for heart health, particularly when combined in moderate amounts with healthy saturated fats like virgin coconut oil. In general, we believe Americans consume excessive amounts of oils high in Omega 6s, which is why canola oil is not a dominant ingredient in MELT Organic, but included as an important source of monounsaturated fats and Omega 3s. Learn more about why the Perfect Blend includes organic canola oil here.
Feel better about the canola oil used now? I know, I know…its not totally ideal but trust me. This is a much better spread option than most of the ones out there. I mean, honestly, this spread sounds good right? Well these spreads not only sound good but by gosh they taste AMAZING! I tried all three so I can say that with certainty. (Although I must admit that the honey is my personal favorite!)
What I love about the MELT Organic line of spreads is that they can be used in place of butter in a one-to-one ratio. That is pretty cool considering I get irked trying to figure out replacement ratios constantly. The original Rich and Creamy spread can literally be used in place of butter for any sort of recipe. The two flavored spreads work better as, well, spreads on toast and baked goods as well as a tasty addition to sweet treat type recipes.
Here are my favorite ways to use MELT Organic Spreads:
- Use it as it as a topping for toast or baked goods that need a little more zip
- Sautee vegetables in the Rich and Creamy spread
- Boost your baked goods with any of the spreads
- Fry up your eggs in the Rich and Creamy spread
- Plop some in your morning coffee
- Add the Honey spread to yams or sweet potatoes as well as butternut squash
See how versatile this incredibly healthy and delicious spread is? I seriously encourage you to give them a try. You can find the store close to you that carries these spreads by using this handy store locator.
So are you ready to see what I created using the MELT Organic Rich and Creamy Spread? Oh….did it taste divine! That spread sure kicked things up a notch.
Chocolate Orange Muffins
Yield 14 muffins
Chocolate Muffins with a hint of Orange goodness. Features MELT® Organic Rich and Creamy Spread.
- 1 whole orange, very ripe
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup raw, organic sugar
- 1/4 cup raw honey (this kind is yummy)
- 1/2 cup of MELT Organic’s Rich and Creamy spread
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or vanilla bean paste
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend (like this one)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (I use this one)
- 1 tablespoon aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (or 375 for higher altitudes).
- In a food processor or blender (I use this one), puree the orange, skin and all.
- In a large bowl combine the pureed orange, eggs, sugar, honey, MELT Organic Spread, milk, and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- In a smaller bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger and nuts.
- Mix well making sure that there are no lumps.
- Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture in the larger bowl, stirring as you go. Alternatively, you can use a mixer.
- Pour into muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool on rack.
Here is another shot from the second batch we made. My daughter thought my first picture was ‘boring.'
So go ahead and give the MELT Organic line of spreads a taste test. They will kick start some of your health goals with all those healthy oils while giving your taste buds something to scream from the rooftops about!