Normally I would be posting the results of the Mindful Mothering Challenge of the week today. However, I am just now weaning myself off of the pain meds from my surgery and am hopeful to return to our regularly scheduled programming next week.
In celebration of the opening day of The Peaceful Housewife's Natural Parenting Blog Party, I wanted to take a moment to answer a few “get to know you” questions which were crafted by Jenny, our Party hostess. And here we go….
1. How many children do you have, and how old are they? I have one daughter, 25 months old.
2. Do you have a partner, or are you a single parent? Depends on the day! J Ha! I am married but my husband has a really goofy work schedule/situation. Some days I am practically a single parent, others happily married.
3. What are your “hot button” parenting issues? I will keep it simple. Spanking/physical punishment, the typical rewards/punishment system, and yelling at and/or in front of children are my top three hot buttons.
4. Have you made any parenting choices that you didn't think you would make before you were a parent, i.e. cloth diapering a child when you had previously thought it was disgusting? Absolutely! I am still a work in progress as I surprise myself all of the time. I honestly had no idea that I would end up LOVING a family bed situation. I did not know much about it at the time I got pregnant but knew that we would bed share for the first few months at least. Much to my amazement, on day one, I knew that it would end up being my daughter's decision as to when she wanted to leave the family bed. There is no way I'm ever kicking my snuggle bug out!
5. Is there one book or person in particular that's heavily influenced your parenting choices? Rudolph Steiner has greatly inspired me! He is the founder of the Waldorf School system and his approaches to child development and parenting are awe inspiring to me. He really embraced every last drop of peaceful, natural parenting.
6. If you had to describe each of your children using only one word, what word would you use? Aware
7. Is there one parenting decision that you regret more than others and wish you could change? I do not regret any parenting decision however, I have learned a few lessons along the wrong. There are certainly aspects of my parenting that are continuing to evolve. I do wish that I knew then what I know now but part of the journey is learning and developing with your child. I do not think that I have made any HUGE parenting blunders that cause me grief and regret. I will admit to having some not so stellar moments that cause mommy guilt though!
8. Is there an area of your parenting you wish you were better at? Being more patient with the way my husband parents our daughter. He grew up in a very different parenting environment than the one I strive to create and I am constantly having to guide him. I wish that I was better at the way I did this in front of my daughter. Sometimes I jump on my husband for his less than peaceful approach to parenting.
9. Now for the fun questions – is there one particular food or type of food that you could eat every day? I could eat Jamaican food all day, every day.
10. Vanilla ice cream or chocolate? Neither. I LOOOOOVE green tea flavored anything.
11. What's your guilty pleasure? Reggae music and a great glass of wine.
12. If you could be part of any television show, which show would it be? Hmmmmm…I don't watch much t.v. at all but I think I would enjoy competing on The Amazing Race. That would be a once in a lifetime experience.
Hope you enjoyed learning a little bit more about me. Stay tuned for a beautiful post chalk full of some amazing photos this weekend!