Hippy New Year! With another year behind us and a whole year of guest posting under my belt, I am really starting to feel like this place here is my second home! Thanks so much for reading all of my guest posts over here throughout 2013! I figured that my first post of the new year should be about something healthy and delicious. What is more fun than healthy and delicious homemade gummy fruit snacks?
With my efforts to get more nutrients into Syfy’s diet, I have decided to try my hand at making different yummy kids foods with a healthy twist. Lately, Syfy has been super picky about putting anything green into his mouth. He has become so picky that if it’s outside his already known loved foods (i.e. meat, cheese, and fruit), then he most likely won’t eat it. I am not even sure how this happened. I made all of his baby food as a baby and he LOVED everything that I would give him. As soon as he turned 3 (and now this year at 4), I started learning that there will be a dance to every single meal. This dance consists of trying to keep him at the table AND getting him to eat something off of his plate for any of the meals for the day.
These gummy fruit snacks were created out of necessity of hidden nutrition. I have started trying things like smoothies with hidden veggies and hemp protein powder, and yummy tasting snacks such as these Strawberry Apple Gummy Fruit Snacks.
Gelatin is a healthy source of collagen
Most people these days are not getting as much gelatin as our ancestors used to because we no longer eat all of the parts of the animals. The type of protein that is provided by gelatin is full of amino acids that are REALLY great for your hair, skin, and nails; not to mention digestive health. The collagen that is readily available in gelatin (I prefer grass fed gelatin) can also be found in bone broths as well, but I prefer sweet treats when given the choice!
- 1 cup fresh apple juice (or some other such freshly made juice)
- 1/2 cup strawberries, pureed (or other fruit puree, even applesauce or puree'd frozen berries)
- 1/4 cup raw unfiltered honey
- 1/4 cup grass fed gelatin ( I use Great Lakes Unflavored Gelatin)
- fun silicon molds (I like the Gummy Bears, Dinosaurs, Hearts, and Stars)
- Combine the apple juice and strawberry puree in a small saucepan and heat over low heat. When the mixture has reached a WARM (but not boiling) state, whisk in honey until melted.
- When the honey is melted, whisk in the gelatin until it is dissolved completely.
- Pour into molds and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Enjoy! These will keep in your fridge for 2 weeks! They are more the consistency of gummie snacks and are able to go in baggies in your kids lunches!