It's no secret that I am a huge fan of making my own skin care products. Heck, I wrote an entire book with recipes galore. Of course, the star ingredient was coconut oil! (I know, shocking!)
As much as I love making my own personal care products, I also like to sit back from time to time and enjoy high quality, natural, coconut oil based products that are good for my skin and don't require me to log any time in my kitchen. (Gasp – yes sometimes I do need a break from all of my kitchen time!)
A while back, a new-to-me company contacted me about reviewing their skin care products. I checked out the website and was really inspired by what I saw! Not only did the skin care products look and sound amazing, but the story behind the company was pretty special.
Mailelani body care naturally is crafted with Cold Pressed Organic Suau'u Popo (coconut oil) and plenty of other fresh exotic ingredients. (And let me tell you that they smell unbelievable!)
What makes Mailelani truly outstanding?
- It's trustworthy, ethically produced and has a social conscience.
- It has the utmost respect for nature.
- It's genuinely concerned about health – yours as well as the environment. The Direct Micro Expelling Technology Method (DME) used to expel the coconut oil used in Mailelani's products does not need further processing making it is simple and environment friendly.
- It supports local and community businesses. People contribute by not only their learned skills but also by providing raw material that are used in their individual businesses. These materials are used to manufacture a variety of soaps, massage oils and lotions, as well as handmade packaging.
- It offers a sustainable source of income and better living standards. The villagers receive maximum benefits for their product.
- The products created use local ingredients including Virgin Coconut Oil, Tamanu oil, Koko Samoa, Papaya, Lauti, Noni, and Honey which all contain very distinctive health properties and natural goodness.
- This virgin coconut oil is produced in the Samoan villages around the Islands of Upolu and Savaii. It creates employment opportunities for rural communities and empowers people by providing them with sustainable sources of income and increased living standards.
Mailelani has two different collections of products. Instead of telling you about them, check out this photo with a great description:
I was fortunate enough to review two items. I tried the Vanilla and Koko Samoa Body Lotion and the body scrub in two different scents (vanilla koko and frangipani).
I absolutely adored the body scrubs! They are sugar and white sand based so no stinging involved! They smell delicious but not overpowering. They are really effective at exfoliating tough areas. And finally, they are great arm-pit stink removers! Seriously. Tiny really enjoyed the scrubs too. She couldn't stop sniffing herself after we got out of the shower.
The Vanilla and Koko Samoa Body Lotion was a little less user friendly than the scrubs. Since it was a sample size and our house was cool, I had to warm the bottle in hot water to get the coconut oil to melt enough so I could use it. Once I did that, I was able to use the lotion. Despite an extra minute or two getting the lotion out, it was well worth the time it took!
The Mailelani line of lotions are very nourishing! I could feel the lotion sinking deeper and deeper into my skin. It wasn't greasy at all and absorbed quickly. It has a very light fragrance and is great for sensitive skin (which I have.) I experienced no reactions which I often do from scented products I personally do not make.
Mailelani has a wonderful selection of massage lotions, handmade soaps, and body lotions, all of which I am quite sure are equally wonderful. In addition to the United States, Mailelani offers their products to customers in Samoa, Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, and Japan. Pretty cool right? No excuse not to order!
Mailelani is generously offering one of you the chance to try their products. One lucky winner will receive a $20 gift certificate, good for anything in stock! Trust me, you won't be able to decide what to order!
This giveaway opens today, November 17, 2012 and closes November 23, 2012 at 11:59pm PST. Enter using Rafflecopter below. I will email the winner and you will have 48 hours to respond before another winner is selected.
a Rafflecopter giveaway