After bringing my daughter (referred to as “Tiny”) earthside in early 2009, I left a decade long career as a recruiter behind to focus my energies on mothering. What was born of that journey (and my crazy adventures with my own health crisis) is what propelled me forward to create this site.
Complex. Possibly riveting. Filled with some truly challenging moments that have changed the course of my life.
But really, no one wants to be bogged down with the minutia of another person’s life story. As humans, we like to focus our energies (as well we should) on things that uplift us; that bring a smile to our face.
Today, I would like to share 8 things that are an important part of my life story. And then, to really lighten the mood, I will share 5 things you might not ever know about me, unless you specifically asked. You know – the quirky things that make me, well, me.
8 Things That Make Up My Life Story
- I am a homeschooling mama to a very lively daughter. I have a play based, Waldorf inspired approach to homeschooling.
- My family lost every single thing we owned in December 2014 due to a highly contaminated home. You can learn more about my story here.
- As angry as I was at the time, I have come to a very peaceful place about starting life completely over with nothing. Sometimes our egos need a good humbling down.
- I veer away from Western medicine when and if there is a more natural way to cure or prevent illness, injury or disease. I rely on herbal support, mineral support, and energy work.
- Thanks to toxic mold exposure, my daughter and I have a lot of food allergies and intolerances. Despite being gluten free, egg free, dairy free, nut free, soy free, mostly grain free, and many other things free, I am still able to create nourishing and delicious meals and treats.
- Food is medicine and what you put into your body nourishes your mind, body and soul. I cook about 90% of what we eat from scratch using organic and locally sources ingredients when possible.
- I make as many cleaning products and personal care products as I can from scratch. I believe in limiting our chemical exposure.
- We spend as much time in nature, celebrating nature, and honoring nature as possible. Mother Earth generously provides for us and in turn we do what we can to honor her.
5 Quirky Things About Me
- I used to breed Australian Bearded Dragons.
- While I love, love, love baking, I really am not as big of a fan of cooking. At all.
- Messes and disorganization in my own home will drive me bonkers. But if your home is messy – I honestly don’t mind at all.
- I used to rescue feral cats, have them all spayed/neutered and when possible, domesticate them and find wonderful homes for them. Since most people don’t want a “converted feral” cat, I ended up with a rather large feline family. I still have 5 of my indoor feral cats.
- I can sing an entire song in “cluck.” Cluck being the sound a chicken makes. Hearing me cluck a song really should be on your bucket list.
The Story Behind The Name Hybrid Rasta Mama
I get asked about my blog name a ton. Next to emails about coconut oil, my blog name is definitely a topic of interest. No one really knows what to make of it! Well, this is basically how it came to be!
I live a hybrid lifestyle, adapting daily to our current needs. I do not subscribe to a one-size-fits all approach to life. I do what needs to be done in the manner I see fit. I live outside the box, without a label.
As for the Rasta part of my moniker. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE reggae music and the Rastafarian culture and way of life. Reggae music touches my soul more than any other music out there. The Rastafarian lifestyle is based on clean living and a devotion to expanding oneself in all areas of life. It’s something that I can embrace with ease and that makes sense to me.
What about the mama part? Well, I’m a mama. But I am also a hybrid parent. I take a little of this, throw in a little of that and blend it all together to create a parenting style that is centered on what my daughter needs from me in order to flourish as a human being. I am committed to mindful, conscious, consensual parenting. Always.
Photo Credits: Spiral Elixir and Ras Terms.