Cancer. The “C” word that no one wants to hear. It elicits fear, despair, and panic. In a sense, cancer has earned these emotions. It is an epidemic after all. One that is partly of our own making.
Cancer does not have to be a death sentence. It does not have be a horrifying disease from which to recover from. With the right treatment, anyone has a fighting chance against this destructive disease.
This is information that everyone should file away. We are ALL at risk of developing cancer or knowing someone who has cancer. Passing this information along may save someone’s life or your own life. I am not a medical professional and am not suggesting that the information I present here WILL work. What I am suggesting is that you take the time to read what I have unearthed and decide for yourself if a holistic approach to cancer is something you would like to embark upon or help others learn more about.
Along with conducting my own research, I put a call out to the natural health community. Between all of us, we came up with the following (which may link to affiliate links).
A Holistic Approach To Cancer
Dr. Thomas Cowan is a holistic practitioner in the San Francisco area. His article on treating cancer holistically is the best out there. This is definitely where everyone (whether you are facing cancer or not) should start.
Another respected member of the natural health community suggested that he would start a pediatric patient on a Strict Ketogenic diet ASAP. Here is an awesome cookbook to get you started.
Another wonderful resource can be found at the Gerson Institute. My grandfather actually followed this diet protocol when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Information about the specific foods consumed in the Gerson diet can be found in this book.
Green Med Info has a wonderful database of articles specifically related to liver cancer.
A visit to the website of the Oncology Association of Naturopath Physicians is a must. The website is dedicated to people living with cancer.
The plant Nigella sativa, has been used for medical purposes for more than 2,000 years. Recent studies reported that thymoquinone (a component of Nigella sativa) exhibited inhibitory effects on cell proliferation of many cancer cell lines. This book is a fascinating read!
Essiac Tea is also a natural remedy recommended to me by another prominent person in the natural healing world.
And here is a really informative video called Cancer, The Forbidden Cures. 100% worth watching!
Finally, there is an amazing book and corresponding blog out which discusses food as medicine. The blog is really wonderful.
I will leave you with this resource as well…
Nutrients in Whole Foods that Protect Against and Cure Cancer
- Vitamin A: Strengthens the immune system. Essential for mineral metabolism and endocrine function. Helps detoxify. True vitamin A is found only in animal foods such as cod liver oil; fish and shellfish; and liver, butter and egg yolks from pasture-fed animals. Traditional diets contained ten times more vitamin A than the typical modern American diet.
- Vitamin C: An important antioxidant that prevents damage by free radicals. Found in many fruits and vegetables but also in certain organ meats valued by primitive peoples.
- Vitamin B6: Deficiencies are associated with cancer. Contributes to the function of over 100 enzymes. Most available from animal foods.
- Vitamin B12: Deficiencies are associated with cancer. Found only in animal foods.
- Vitamin B17: Protects against cancer. Found in a variety of organically grown grains, legumes, nuts and berries.
- Vitamin D: Required for mineral absorption. Strongly protective against breast and colon cancer. Found only in animal foods such as cod liver oil, lard, shellfish and butterfat, organ meats and egg yolks from grass-fed animals. Traditional diets contained ten times more vitamin D than the typical modern American diet.
- Vitamin E: Works as an antioxidant at the cellular level. Found in unprocessed oils as well as in animal fats like butter and egg yolks.
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA): Strongly protective against breast cancer. Found in the butterfat and meat fat of grass-fed ruminant animals.
- Cholesterol: A potent antioxidant that protects against free radicals in cell membranes. Found only in animal foods.
- Minerals: The body needs generous amounts of a wide variety of minerals to protect itself against cancer. Minerals like zinc, magnesium and selenium are vital components of enzymes that help the body fight carcinogens. Minerals are more easily absorbed from animal foods.
- Lactic Acid and Friendly Bacteria: Contribute to the health of the digestive tract. Found in old fashioned lacto-fermented foods.
- Saturated Fats: Strengthen the immune system. Needed for proper use of the essential fatty acids. The lungs cannot function without saturated fats. Found mostly in animal foods.
- Long-Chain Fatty Acids: Arachidonic acid (AA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) help fight cancer on the cellular level. They are found mostly in animal foods such as butter, organ meats, cod liver oil and seafood.
- Co-enzyme Q10: Highly protective against cancer. Found only in animal foods.
I do so hope that this serves as a valuable resource for those battling cancer or who know someone who is.